The Netherlands Carillon is a token of appreciation from the citizens of the Netherlands to the United States. It is in recognition of the help that America provided during and after the Second World War. The carillon, consisting of 49 bells, was presented in 1954. The structure was relocated from its initial site to its current location in 1960. During a collaborative renovation project in 1995, the United States and the Netherlands installed a 50th bell to mark the 50th anniversary of Dutch liberation.
The carillon is housed in an open steel tower devised by Joost Boks. The structure is approximately 40 meters tall with a glass-enclosed observatory that contains a playing console halfway to the top. The tower is situated in a 93-foot square quartzite plaza that is surrounded by lava stone walls. Paul Koning, a Dutch sculptor, designed the two bronze lions that overlook the plaza steps. Thousands of tulips adorn the area adjacent to the plaza.
The bells weigh 28 metric tons and are cast from a bronze alloy. Each bell has an emblem that represents a segment of Dutch society. There are verses composed by Ben van Eysselsteijn, a Dutch poet, cast in the metal. The bells play Westminster Chimes to mark the hour. Special songs mark Netherlands Liberation Day, the 4th of July and Thanksgiving.