Memorial Drive is the road that leads into Arlington National Cemetery. The roadway begins on the opposite side of the Potomac River in the vicinity of the Lincoln Memorial. It crosses the Memorial Bridge and terminates at the Hemicycle. The bridge, parkway and grand entrance to the cemetery were commissioned as a single project and were dedicated by President Herbert Hoover in 1932. The road network symbolically links the North and South by originating near the Lincoln Memorial and ending near the Custis-Lee Mansion.
The parkway is lined with several monument and memorials. There are tributes commemorating the heroics of the 101st Airborne, the Armored Forces, the Seabees and veterans of the Spanish American War as well as the 4th Infantry Division and Admiral Richard Byrd. The Hemicycle terminus is a 30-foot tall, 226-foot diameter retaining wall. The wall has a bas-relief of the Great Seal of the United States within a large niche that is flanked by the emblems of the Department of the Navy and Army. The Hemicycle also serves as the outer wall of the Women in Military Service memorial. There are wrought iron entry gates known as Schley Gate and Roosevelt Gate that bear the seals of the military services.
As motorists travel across the bridge at night toward Arlington, the John F. Kennedy Eternal Flame is visible on the hill.