Pierre Charles L’Enfant was the architect who designed the layout of Washington, D.C. under the supervision of George Washington. When he died in 1825, he was laid to rest in Green Hill, Maryland. In 1909, the architect was reburied in front of the Lee-Custis Mansion on a hillside overlooking the city that he designed.
The monument that adorns his gravesite is made of white marble. The top of four slabs rests on six marble columns that are approximately two feet tall. This area has a base relief of a broadsword with a decorated hilt. There are oak leaves at the corners and a scalloped motif around the edges. The bottom three slabs are beveled, decorated with oak leaves and offset from each another. The east face of the monument depicts his plan for the Federal City. A bronze marker commemorates L’Enfant’s service to the nation as a soldier, engineer and artist.