Dumbarton Oaks is known to have been created by Robert Woods Bliss and Mildred Barnes Bliss. The couple purchased this Federal-architecture house (Ca. 1801) and property in 1920 after a long search for a home in Washington. Right after purchasing this property, they started modifying it extensively by expanding to add a “music room” and later a museum as well. They renovated the house inside and out and transformed the exterior surroundings into vistas and gardens.
Around 1932, the couple decided to leave and transfer the property of Dumbarton Oaks to Harvard University, Robert’s alma mater. The property was finally transferred in 1940, even after which the Blisses remained faithfully active in enhancing the place’s collections, gardens and the overall beauty.
Today known as Dumbarton Oaks Research Library and Collection, it is a recognized institute of Harvard. It welcomes scholars from around the globe to consult the extensive library of books and images. It also welcomes general public for visiting the museum, gardens and the historic music room for concerts. Dumbarton Oaks serves as a cultural and artistic center in Georgetown