The Forrest-Marbury House, situated at 3340 M Street in Georgetown, Washington DC, is a red brick townhouse flying the blue and yellow flag of Ukraine. Although built during the Federal period, this building reflects a Greek Revival update with its flat-roofed entry, window crowns and wide band of trim under the cornice.
Currently the Ukranian Embassy, the Forrest-Marbury House was commissioned by General Uriah Forrest in 1788. He invited his former commander, George Washington, to dinner on March 29, 1791. Among the guests were local landowners, and plans were finalized for the new Federal government to purchase land along the Potomac River. Pierre Charles L’Enfant incorporated these acres into his design for America’s new Federal City, later known as Washington DC. The George Washington Memorial Room displays copies of documents written by Washington.
William Marbury purchased the townhouse in 1800. An early real estate investor, Marbury is best known for his involvement in the landmark Marbury v. Madison. This case established the precedent of judicial review, in which the Supreme Court rules whether legislation brought forth by Congress is consistent with the US Constitution.
After remaining in the Marbury family for over 100 years, the house passed through several hands and operated as the Crazy Horse nightclub during the 1980s. In 1992, following extensive restoration, the Ukranian Government purchased the Forrest-Marbury House.