The Georgetown Lutheran Church dates back to 1769, which is 32 years before the nation’s capital was established at Washington, D.C.
This historic church was founded by German Lutherans who came to America in the 19th century where they settled in the Potomac Valley because land was cheap. The church was founded in 1766 at High and Fourth streets, where it is still located, with the cornerstone being laid in 1769. The original church was built from logs and was replaced by a frame building in 1835. In 1867, two years after the Civil War ended, the wood building was replaced by the stone church you see today. Church historians note the cornerstone for the stone church was laid with the same gavel that George Washington used on the cornerstone of the capital building.
Itinerant pastors served the church from its beginnings until 1869, when the first permanent pastor was named. At that time, the congregation consisted of 25 members and 60 Sunday school students. The current church was built in 1914, and features the bell that was used in the old log church. The bell, which had been given away decades earlier, was found in a Virginia junk yard in 1937. Regular Sunday services are still conducted at the church.