Mt Zion Cemetery serves as a physical reminder of the past life of African Americans and how the black culture evolved and liberated in the District of Columbia.
Mt Zion Cemetery comprises two cemeteries, which were historically located next to each other- the Female Union Band Society Graveyard and the old Methodist Burying Ground. With a total area of three acres, both the cemeteries are equal in sharing this land. In ancient times, there was a visible demarcation between the two cemeteries but it has been removed over time.
The Dumbarton Street Methodist Episcopal Church bought the land for the Old M.E. Burying Ground in 1808. Most of the members in the Dumbarton Street church were Africans, some of which were liberated but some were still enslaved. At that time, the city consisted of about 30% African American population, which got united in 1816 to form the Mount Zion Methodist Church.
Ultimately the Mount Zion Methodist Church acquired the land of the cemetery as well in 1879. The Female Union Band Society was a generous and accommodating society of liberated African women who willingly allowed the merger of the two cemeteries to signify the important contribution of African Americans in the community development of Georgetown.