Mt Zion United Methodist Church is the oldest Black congregation in Washington D.C. The church was set up in 1816 by congregant Sharack Nugent along with 125 fellow congregants who separated themselves, due to racial policies, from the Montgomery Street Methodist Church, which nowadays is known as the Dumbarton United Methodist.
The church as we know it today was originally founded in 1884. The cemetery, which is situated near Q and 27th streets, consisted of the Female Union Band Cemetery as well as the Old Methodist Burying Ground. This particular cemetery is known to have been a preventing element for the Underground Railroad.
The Heritage Center, situated on the 2906 O Street, retains possession of church records and chronicles. It is a beautiful cottage style building from the Old English times, not many of which have remained in the area.
Since Mount Zion United Methodist Church has contributed a lot to the cultural heritage as well as visual attraction for tourists, it has been recognized as one of the landmarks in the “Inventory of Historical Landmarks of the District of Columbia.” It is indeed a family church, and the locals of Georgetown are proud of their ancestors for making this church what it is today.