Sometimes referred to by locals as Barnard Square due to its location along Barnard Street, Chatham Square is named for the Earl of Chatham, William Pitt. The Great Commoner, as he was known by the people of Savannah, Pitt served as a great supporter of Americans in their quest to gain independence from the British. Chatham Square was laid out in 1847, at the same time as nearby Monterey Square.
Another reason why locals call this square Barnard Square is because it is the site of the Barnard Street School. This historic structure, completed in 1901, is located at 212 West Taylor Street. Known for its distinctive Italian tile roof, the Savannah College of Art and Design now owns the building and continues to maintain the property.
The square features an abundance of interesting homes, as Chatham Ward sports several blocks of rowhouses that were constructed during one of Savannah's wealthiest periods. The 1850s saw great prosperity in the city, as many residents took advantage of the cotton boom. The Greek revival homes, paired homes and three-story brick townhouses reflect this time of prosperity.
Areas such as Gordon Row and the Blues Range are located near here. These areas represent some of the best preservation efforts in the city.