Both Warren Ward and Warren Square were first laid out in Savannah in 1790 following the American Revolution. As such, they became the first extensions to be made in the city.
The ward and the square were both named for a hero of the American Revolution, General Joseph Warren. General Warren had also served as President of the Third Provincial Congress of Massachusetts prior to the Revolution.
The square is bordered by Habersham, East Bryan, East St. Julian, and East Congress Streets. During the 1960s, much of this area became the subject of preservation work conducted by the Historic Savannah Foundation. Many of the homes located in this area that originally been slated for demolition were saved as a result of this work. Consequently, many of the most historical and interesting homes in the city can be seen in Warren Square.
One of those homes was constructed by John Mongin in 1797. This frame home was constructed at 24 Habersham Street and over the years has served a number of functions. Along with serving as a residence, the home has also served as the Christ Episcopal Church rectory. In 1876, the home was the site of a hospital during a yellow fever epidemic that swept through the city of Savannah. General Lafayette was a visitor to the home in 1825. Perhaps one of the most interesting aspects about this home is that it was not originally constructed at its current location, but was instead moved there from a Warren Square tithing lot. The original home was constructed in a post-colonial style.
Another post-colonial home was built by George Basil Spencer at 22 Habersham Street sometime between 1790 and 1804. At the time, it was one of the most elaborate homes to be built in the city. The Historic Savannah Foundation later saved the home from demolition.
In an effort to save it, the home that originally resided at 426 East St. Julian Street was also relocated. The home had been originally located on Price Street. The owner of a Confederate shipyard, Henry Willink, had the home constructed in 1845.
Another of the homes visitors will see today in Warren Square at 404 East Bryan Street was also originally located at another site on West Perry Street. The home had been constructed by John Eppinger sometime around 1821. Built in the Federal Style, the home was later the residence of Judge Peter Meldrim. The judge was also the owner of the Green-Meldrim House, but resided in the house now at East Bryan Street during the Civil War.